Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Semi-Single Life

It’s Friday and, after a very long stretch of seven shifts, I finally have a day off.  I feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief, at long last.  It’s unbelievably nice to have this time to myself, to be able to do whatever I choose. 
When Mouse first left, I thought these days would be torture.  I assumed I would be incredibly lonely.  But I’m learning to enjoy my solitary existence and appreciate the freedom it affords me.  It’s the ultimate self-indulgence, doing whatever I desire with my free time, without compromise or apologies.  I go on long runs and cook my favorite foods.  I write without interruption.  I don’t feel guilty about taking time for girly pleasures like pedicures or afternoons at the salon.  So, even though I miss him, I have been enjoying the advantages of semi-single life.  This time apart has allowed me to reset, to remember what it’s like to just be me.

He’ll be back in a few short days, though, and my life will resume its loud, boisterous, and energetic pace.  I will slip back into my old self, the decidedly un-single self who shares her life with a man who makes her very happy.  My free time may dwindle and I will have to nix pumpkin and tofu from my dinner menus, but such sacrifices are worth it.  Because, when it comes down to it, I enjoy sharing my time and life with him.  Our life is worth every little bit of compromise.

No comments:

Post a Comment