Sunday, June 13, 2010

Oven Wars, Part 2

Yes!  A cake victory!  It’s a good day!  Today, I have succeeded in making an oatmeal cake with broiled coconut/pecan frosting.  Mmmm… This simple oatmeal cake has been a much-needed confidence booster.
Those reading my blog since the beginning are well aware of the hate-hate relationship I have with my convection oven.  My first baking attempts weren’t pretty, nearly reducing me to a pool of sugary tears.  I seriously doubted my baking abilities.  (Who would have thought that could ever happen?)  But, things are changing.  I’ve now had TWO successful baking projects.  Woo hoo!  Thus, in the on-going Stacey vs. Oven battle, I’m declaring the score 2 to 2.  And, without sounding too cocky, I predict I’m well on my way to dominating that stupid convection oven.  Never mind we’re technically tied (minor details); the momentum has shifted.  I now possess the proper tricks to outsmart that evil contraption.  I’m beginning to feel like my old bad-a**, baking self again.  Anyhow, if you’re interested in making this yummy cake, see below for the recipe.

**Oh – I do need to credit my new favorite blog Eat, Run, Read for providing me with this recipe.  Thanks much!  I only made a couple of minor changes to suit my tastes.


Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Frosting

Cake Ingredients:

1 cup (3 ounces) quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup water , room temperature

3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed (3 1/2 ounces) light brown sugar

1 large egg, room temperature

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


½ cup shredded coconut
2-3 tablespoons milk

Broiled Icing Ingredients:

1/4 cup packed (1 3/4 ounces) light brown sugar

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

3 tablespoons milk

3/4 cup shredded coconut

1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) pecans, chopped


Directions:


FOR THE CAKE: 

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut two 16-inch lengths aluminum foil and fold both lengthwise to 5-inch widths. Spray 8- by 8-inch metal baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Create a foil sling for the pan: cut two 16-inch lengths of foil and fold them to widths of 5 inches each. Fit foil pieces into baking dish, one overlapping the other, pushing them into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhang pan edges. This creates a sling that will help you remove the cake after baking and cooling. Spray foil lightly with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Combine oats and water in medium bowl and let sit until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. In another medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.



3. In bowl of standing mixer, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until combined and mixture has consistency of damp sand (2 to 4 minutes), scraping down bowl with rubber spatula halfway through mixing. Add egg and vanilla; beat until combined. Add flour mixture in 2 additions, mixing until incorporated. Add soaked oats. Mix until combined.



4. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Lightly tap against counter 3- 4 times to dislodge any large air bubbles; smooth surface with spatula. Bake cake until toothpick inserted into center comes out with few crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes (careful: mine only took 28 minutes), rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cake cool slightly in pan, at least 10 minutes.



FOR THE BROILED ICING:

While cake cools, adjust oven rack about 9 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. In medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, melted butter, and milk together; stir in coconut and pecans. Spread mixture evenly over warm cake. Broil until topping is bubbling and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.

**If you are baking with a convection oven, decrease oven temperature by 25 degrees and bake slightly longer.  (My cake took 45 minutes.)


1 comment:

  1. Yeah! So glad you finally got to make a decent cake! I'll try calling you tonight. I've had some peeps in town so I haven't had a chance. Hopefully I'll talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete