Saturday, July 10, 2010

Aussie Speak: Part 4

Australian Urban Dictionary
(aka Aussie speak for Yanks)
Part 4: You’re Wearing What?

·      thongs (θô nz) noun: sandals, specifically flip-flops
e.g. – Hey, mate.  Can you hand me my thongs?  This sand is hot!

·      trainers (ˈtrān ərz) noun: shoes suitable for sports; tennis shoes
e.g. – Oh bugger!  I forgot my trainers!  Now I can’t go for a run.

·      tog (täg) noun: a very brief two-piece swimsuit for women; a bikini
e.g. – Did you see Jess’s tog?  I reckon it barely covers her arse!

·      trackies (trak ēz) noun: a loose, warm pair of pants with an elastic or drawstring waist, worn when exercising or as casual wear
e.g. – Those trackies look really comfortable.  Onya!

·      jumppa (ˈjəm pə) noun: a garment with long sleeves, worn over the upper body; a sweater, a sweatshirt, a hoodie, etc.
e.g. – I’ll be ready in a tick!  I just need to grab a jumppa.

·      singlet (ˈsin glit) noun: a sleeveless garment worn under or instead of a shirt; a tank-top
e.g. – I’m wearing a singlet under this jumper, since it’s supposed to warm up this arvo.

·      nappy (ˈnap ē) noun: a piece of absorbent material wrapped around a baby's bottom and between its legs to absorb and retain urine and feces; a diaper
e.g. – Will you hand me a nappy?  The baby needs a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment