Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Very un-4th of July

Today is the 4th of July.  Wow!  My brain can barely wrap itself around that fact.  It seems so strange and improbable, without all of the usual cues to clue me in.  Normally, I would be relaxing, doing something fun with friends.
  Back home, it’s the height of summer – a time to BBQ, camp, hike, and just hang.  Last year at this time, we had just completed summiting Mt. Whitney.  (Admittedly, that wasn’t the most relaxing outing, but it was fun.)  All of that seems a lifetime away right now, as I sit in my little apartment on the other side of the world.  Out here, it’s an average Sunday in the middle of winter.  No parades.  No BBQs.  No fireworks.  It’s not even warm.  I’ve had my little space heater cranked up to the maximum setting every night!  Brrr!

It’s been six months since I left Vegas and I can feel a hint of homesickness creeping in.  I miss my usual summer activities.  I miss the mountains.  I miss the canyons.  I miss grabbing a cold beer with friends.  I kind of even miss hanging out at the Vegas pools.  Yup - the nostalgia is coming on in full force.  Still, I don’t regret being here.  It’s been a good experience thus far.  I’m happy with myself for taking a chance and doing something so outside of the norm.  Besides, all of that stuff will be there when I return.  So, I hope everyone back home has a very happy 4th of July!  Will someone please light a sparkler for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment