Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My First Muesli

As much as I would have liked to, I couldn’t stay in bed all day yesterday.  So, after a good amount of lazing around in my fortress of warmth, I finally had to brave the cold of my apartment and do something with myself.  And what better to do on a cold day than bake?  (Twist my arm!)  So, of course, that’s exactly what I did.

I’ve been obsessed with muesli (aka - granola), as of late, and decided to experiment with my own concoction.  After a little research and contemplation, I came up with a recipe for a Honey-Quinoa Muesli.  I absolutely love it!  It’s not too sweet and very nutty, thanks to the quinoa, coconut, pumpkin seeds, and almonds I threw in.  I know, quinoa in a granola does sound strange, but don't be scared - it's delicious.  I promise.  Just try it!  (And just think of all the health benefits of adding this amazing super-grain to your diet.)  Anyway, it was a fun project, with the added bonus of making my apartment nice and toasty from all the oven action.  (Oh – and it smelled sooo good in here, too!)  The recipe is below, if you’re interested.

My Honey-Quinoa Muesli Recipe
Ingredients:
8 TBS butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt - 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (regular quick-cooking oats will do in a pinch)
- 1 cup quinoa - 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened - ¾ cup pumpkin seeds - ¾ cup sliced almonds – ½ cup dried apricots, diced (optional) – ½ cup dried dates, diced (optional)
Directions: 
Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Combine the butter and honey in a small saucepan, and set over medium heat until the butter is melted, but not boiling.  Add salt.  Remove from heat.
Combine the oats, quinoa, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and coconut in a medium mixing-bowl. Pour in the butter mixture, and stir to combine. Spread onto the prepared cookie sheet, add the dried fruit (if desired), and place into the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.  Be sure to stir the mixture once or twice as it bakes.  Remove from the oven and transfer to a cool baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Let cool.  Keep in an airtight container, at room temperature or in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment