Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hanging by a Thread

“You fool!” yelled Thelma*, stomping her feet.  “You don’t know anything!”  I had been at work for less than five minutes and was already being berated by one of my patients.  It was my seventh shift straight; I had walked into the hospital with a fried brain and shot nerves.  This was definitely not how I had hoped to begin my day. 

Thelma may have looked like a sweet, little old lady, but she had a ferocious mean streak.  Her dementia, coupled with hospital-induced frustration, made her incredibly difficult to deal with.  So, here I was, kneeling on the bathroom floor, trying to maintain my cool and goad her into putting on underwear after an episode of incontinence.  Apparently, she wasn’t pleased with this proposition, hence the foot stomping and spittle on my face.  Just breathe, I thought, stay calm.  I tried to reason with her, to explain the situation, but she just wouldn’t (or couldn’t) process what I was saying.  It was futile.  My sanity was hanging by a thread.  I just wanted to get her clothed and back to bed – if only it were that easy.  Ugh!  Welcome to life on a neuroscience ward.

It’s been an interesting transition, going from the ICU setting to something less acute.  Some days, I enjoy it.  The opportunity to interact and bond with patients has (mostly) been a nice change of pace.  And, since our ward takes all of the non-ventilated, post-op neuro patients, I’m able to utilize my skills.  But, days like today are tough.  I can’t lie – I don’t enjoy chasing around after old, incontinent ladies.  It just isn’t my cup of tea.  But, these scenarios do provide me with lessons in patience, humility, and understanding - all of which I could probably use.  And, if nothing else, I do come home with great stories.  So, overall, this is proving to be a good work experience, which is all I can really hope for.


*The patient’s name has been changed to maintain her privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment