Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Oven Wars

That’s it. I’m declaring war on my oven. I have no idea how I’m going to win. I don’t even have a strategy in mind. But I refuse to let that thing get the best of me. I have never had trouble baking in my life. I have been baking cakes and cookies with ease since I was a little kid. Now, I can’t even make the simplest of recipes. This convection oven is driving me insane! After my blondie debacle the other night, I did some research. I went online, looking up article after article on baking with convection ovens. I even read my operator’s manual. Armed with new knowledge, I was confident. I was certain I possessed all of the tricks and tips necessary for success. So, I tried my trusted recipe for banana bread. Surely, that wouldn’t fail. I was sadly mistaken. I just can’t seem to get it right. The oven just bakes weird. The heat is supposed to circulate, but it concentrates at the top, burning things before they can bake through. It’s maddening. All I can do is continue to play around with the settings and experiment with new techniques. Maybe cookies will be easier. I just hate getting excited about a recipe just to have it flop. I have to try something, though. This oven is not going to get the best of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment