Saturday, May 8, 2010

Farmer's Market


This morning we made our way to the New Farm Farmer’s Market, a bi-weekly event held in our local park along the river. I love everything about Farmer’s Markets. I love the hustle and bustle. I love being able to shop outdoors. And I love that they provide an excellent barometer of a neighborhood’s personality. I really cannot think of a better way to kick-start our weekend. Naturally, caffeine is my top priority this time of day, so I make a beeline for the coffee stand as soon we arrive. Next, I nab a deliciously moist apple crumble muffin from a local baker. With a strong long black (aka Americano) and sustenance in hand, I’m ready to meander through the stalls and explore. There are so many sights, sounds, and smells to take in. The butcher calls out above the chatter of the crowd, announcing the high quality of his beef and lamb. Someone else hands out samples of passion fruit and golden kiwi from their fruit stand. The aromas of German Bratwursts and Chinese Dim-Sim waft through the air, making my stomach growl. (And I don’t even like bratwurst! Although, it was a temptation Mouse couldn’t resist.) All of this is such a refreshing change from the sterile, artificially lit grocery store. The entire scene is an assault on my senses, but in a good way. Being there brings out the foodie in me, inspires me to cook, makes me feel creative. The heirloom tomatoes, fresh asparagus, and handmade buffalo mozzarella all call out to me. We contemplate our meal options for the weekend as we make our way through the market, picking out fresh produce as we go. We decide tonight’s dinner will be from Tasmania – fresh salmon for me and Back Angus for Mouse. With our bag full and our grocery funds depleted, we head back home, ready to enjoy the remainder of this lazy Saturday.

1 comment: