Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Culottes? Really?



Ok. I finally gave in. I did it. Ugh! Today, I broke down and wore a skirt to work. Even though it isn’t much different from the dress slacks or shorts I’ve been wearing, I felt odd, somehow exposed. Scrubs are my uniform of choice, my armor; without them, I feel off, like I’m only pretending to be a nurse. I know it’s silly. It’s just a piece of clothing. It doesn’t define who I am, what I do, or how competent I am. Besides, every other nurse working for Queensland Health wears the same uniform. Regardless, I still feel ridiculous, awkward. (And don’t even get me started on the culottes! I thought they stopped making those in the 1970s!) Eventually, I will get over this self-consciousness. I shudder to think of the day when this uniform becomes commonplace, but it will happen. When it does, I will just have to laugh at myself. (Because I’m sill going to look as silly as I do now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment